Relive the golden age of cruising
Established in 1848, Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines is a family-run company that still upholds the great customs of classic cruising. These include elegant, comfortable surroundings, superb personal service and fine dining, as well as daily afternoon tea and refined entertainment. Their small to medium-size ships can sail you to the heart of destinations, entering narrow fjords, inland rivers and tiny harbours to bring you closer to stunning locations.
This is a refined, elegant way to explore destinations like the Norwegian fjords, Cuba and the Caribbean or even embark on a once-in-a-lifetime world voyage.
In 2018, cruise highlights include New Year in Sydney, the Rio Carnival and the Monaco Grand Prix, plus the Tall Ships at Kiel Week, the Seville Fair and the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo. Fans of Fred may also wish to celebrate the company’s 170th anniversary, when all four ships unite for Captains in Cadiz in September 2018.
In 2019 you can see iconic sights such as the awe-inspiring Northern Lights, the colourful and unique city of Reykjavik and even spend two nights in vibrant San Francisco. You can enjoy a cruise closer to home exploring the British Isles, enjoy a fly-cruise to discover Singapore and Indonesia’s islands, and experience world-famous events such as the Monaco Grand Prix, the incredible Seville Fair and Estonia’s Song and Dance Festival.
Choose Fred. Olsen for...
- A long-established, family-run cruise line, extremely proud of their heritage
- A classic style of cruising that upholds all the finest traditions at sea
- A smaller ship experience that ensures customers enjoy a more intimate and sociable atmosphere
- Formal dining in the main restaurants, or more relaxed dining in the open-seating alternative eateries
- The chance to sail to smaller ports, islands and harbours
- A generous luggage allowance of 90kg per person when sailing from the UK
- A wide variety of fly-cruises including the Caribbean, South Africa and the Indian Ocean, allowing you to begin exploring straight away
- High levels of personal service in comfortable and cosy surroundings aboard four welcoming ships - Black Watch, Balmoral, Boudicca and Braemar
- Fantastic value for money, with an all-inclusive drinks package worth £15 per person per day, and/or on-board gratuities worth £4 per person per day, included when you book selected cruises through Saga
Four Freds in Funchal
On April 4, 2020, four of Fred. Olsen's cruise ships will gather in the beautiful city of Funchal on the island of Madeira. Join one of the ships and enjoy a day of celebration with fun activities and events to mark the occasion.
The jewel in the Fred.Olsen's crown as the largest and newest ship in their fleet.
This great-value package is exclusive to Cruise World, and only available when booking with Saga.
The Saga price includes all this…
- Saga's VIP door-to-door travel service
- Your holiday will start right at your front door, with a chauffeur who will drive you to the UK port or airport, and then pick you up on your return
- Don't need the chauffeur? Then you can drive yourself and enjoy free car parking at or near your departure point
- Optional travel insurance underwritten by Great Lakes Insurance SE, UK Branch and additional cancellation rights on overseas holidays for over 50s, or a price reduction if not required (cover is subject to medical questions)
- All port taxes, fees and charges All meals, afternoon tea, snacks and buffets
- Free Upgrade to All Inclusive on selected cruises*
- Free Onboard gratuities to housekeeping and restaurant staff on selected cruises^
- Tea and coffee
- On-board leisure facilities including a gym, swimming pools and Jacuzzis Daily on-board activities and lectures
- Free use of the shuttle bus at most ports of call on most cruises
- All evening entertainment including dancing, cabaret shows and live music
- Captain's Drinks Party and Gala Buffet Room service
- Porterage of luggage when embarking and disembarking
*All-inclusive drinks package is worth £15 per person, per day and includes selected beers, wines, spirits and soft drinks and 50% off selected premium brands and cocktails. ^Free on-board gratuities are worth £4 per person, per day.
When you book through Saga, selected drinks are included in the price of all Fred. Olsen cruises. The all-inclusive drinks package is normally £15 per person, per day. In addition, you can save 50% off premium and branded drinks, other red and white wines (excluding Champagne or sparkling wine), cocktails and bottled water. Here is a list of drinks included.
In the bars
- A selection of soft drinks (post-mix on pump), served by the glass: Pepsi, lemonade, tonic waters, juices and mineral/spring water
- A choice of three red, three white and two rosé wines by the glass
- Selected Cava by the glass
- Selected branded beers in cans or on draught
- Selected cider in cans
- Selected house spirits: white rum, gin, vodka, whisky, brandy and Irish Cream
- The Bar Manager's own selection
In the restaurants and buffets
- A selection of soft drinks, mineral/spring water and juices by the glass
- A choice of three red, three white and two rosé wines by the glass
- Selected branded beers in cans
- Regular tea and coffee
Fred's ships sail from five ports around the UK, making it easy to join a huge range of cruises. You can depart from Dover, Southampton, Newcastle, Liverpool and Rosyth.
Alternatively, there is a great choice of fly-cruises. You’ll board your cruise ship in the heart of the action, so you could be exploring idyllic islands or exotic shores within hours of touching down. Discover the islands of the Caribbean, explore the Singapore and Indonesia’s islands or discover Bali and Australia.
Gratuities are not included in the cost of your cruise holiday, and for your convenience, £5 per adult guest per day is automatically added to your on-board account to be shared by your housekeeping and restaurant staff. However tipping is entirely at your discretion, and you can contact Reception once on board should you wish to vary this amount. There are no additional service charges for spa or salon services.
Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines are working to reduce their impact on the globe. With their smaller, friendlier, revitalised ships sailing oceans near and far, they understand it’s important to take care of the world they love to explore with their guests.
Here are just a few of the initiatives they have in place to help protect the planet:
- Banning the use of single-use plastic on board wherever possible
- The reuse and recycling of items wherever possible, including the donation of useful items (such as uniforms and furniture) to good causes
- Their waste management processes follow strict environmental regulatory requirements
- The company’s Energy Efficiency Plan regularly reviews and reduces energy demand
- This approach follows through to their Ipswich Office too, where rooftop solar panels generate power for the office, paper and plastics are all recycled, and green initiatives are in place