Skip to navigation Skip to content
< Back to Saga Sapphire blog

2nd October, 2018

Sydney, Nova Scotia

Today we are scheduled to arrive in Sydney - part of me wishes it was the Sydney in Australia as it’s my favourite harbour to sail into – however it is of course Nova Scotia. With the pilot on board at 0635 it was a little breezy outside the harbour but once inside it became very calm. It’s about a 10m run in to the harbour and today with only 1 berth available we had to anchor and use our ships tenders. We had to delay our anchoring initially, but all part of the plan, as another cruise ship had to pass us at 0930 to go alongside the only berth available. So, on arrival we sat and “drifted” with no anchor down and commenced our tender operation. As the other vessel approached we “shifted” a couple of ship lengths to allow here to pass in the narrow channel and then once she was clear we went and anchored for the remainder of the day.

By 0820 we were already to start tendering and shortly after 0830 the first tour was heading ashore. Many guests love the opportunity to ride in our tenders and a change from walking down the gangway. There were 5 tours available today and all were in the morning. This included “The Fortress of Louisbourg & Lighthouse”, “Baddeck & Alexander Graham Bell Museum”, “Historic Sydney Highlights” and 2 “Sydney Walking Tours”.

The 3rd largest city of Nova Scotia, whose name derives from the Latin for New Scotland, Sydney was founded in 1785 by fleeing Loyalists from New York State during the American Revolution, and quickly became a popular settlement to countless immigrants from the Scottish Highlands. For two centuries it has been a major industrial town, a region where coal mines and a steel plant became major employers and attracted workers from many diverse backgrounds. Today this cultural diversity is celebrated in a number of museums and restored historic buildings. While the countryside beyond is stunning and will have been enjoyed by many guests on their tours.

With the last tender from the shore shortly after 1600, we had everyone accounted for by 1630 and at 1700 we departed the anchorage. When the anchor was being “weighed” the cable was so thick with mud and clay it took two seamen with full pressure on their fire hoses to dislodge it. This evolution took some time but eventually the anchor was brought home and we took to sea en-route for Saguenay.

Captain Julian Burgess

The opinions expressed are those of the author and are not held by Saga unless specifically stated.

The material is for general information only and does not constitute investment, tax, legal, medical or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation.