The steps we're taking to safeguard your holiday
At Saga, the health and safety of our guests has always been of paramount importance. Our highly trained Health and Safety team, in partnership with our external Health and Safety partner, have already started liaising with our hoteliers to ensure that every precaution is taken to ensure your chosen holiday can operate as smoothly as possible.
Your health and wellbeing
- As always, if you are unwell prior to departure do contact us. If you have taken advantage of Saga Holidays Travel Insurance, we will either cancel your holiday or help amend you to a later date upon receipt of a letter from your doctor.
- If your do choose to cancel, then you will be charged £100 with your remaining funds returned. If you are having to self-isolate or are recovering from COVID-19 and inside the 14-day quarantine period, the same rules apply.
- If you have purchased your own insurance, then you will be charged the applicable cancellation fees as covered in our booking conditions.
- Please do not travel to the airport if you are suffering any COVID-19 symptoms or are in isolation.
Travel to your UK departure airport
To complement our range of holidays, Saga includes several UK travels options:
- Guests who have booked a domestic flight will be required to follow the guidelines stipulated by their domestic airline. At a minimum, this will mean wearing a face covering throughout the airport and onboard the flight. Check the most recent guidelines for your airline.
- If you have taken advantage of our VIP door-to-door travel service, we will be following all UK government guidelines closely to ensure a safe journey to and from the airport.
- Guests who have chosen either National Rail or National Express services can be reassured that social distancing and increased cleaning regimes have been put in place and we expect little impact to these services, albeit the number of passengers on each service may be reduced.
Although operating much reduced services over the past few months, airports have used this time to ensure all measures are in place to ensure safe passage to your chosen destination.
There have been many changes to air travel as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak. Just like Saga and our partner airlines, the airports are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.
- In most cases, a face covering is required from your arrival at the airport and continuing throughout your flight and arrival into your chosen destination.
- You will see unfamiliar sights in the previously familiar airport layout, with screens between passengers and staff, social distancing and sanitising stations, as well as the need to wear a face covering throughout. It is also likely that you will be required to have your temperature checked before being allowed into the airport terminal.
- When arriving at your chosen destination, you will likely be required to complete a health questionnaire as well as additional checks similar to those experienced at your departure airport.
- The videos below from Gatwick Airport and Heathrow Airport show some of the changes you may experience at the airport as a traveller.
As the world opens up again, Saga and our airline partners look forward to welcoming you back on holiday.
There will be many changes to air travel as we knew it before, and each airline will have their own set of requirements for travel. We felt it best that you receive this information directly from them. Please follow the link to your chosen airline where you will find all of the important information you will need to bear in mind ahead of your flight.
Your health and safety remain our top priority and we are working closely with our partners to make sure that you can enjoy your time away with us while remaining as safe as possible.
We continue to review Government guidelines for travel post COVID-19 as we remain hopeful that over time, the restrictions in place will be gradually reduced.
We are taking the following steps to ensure your safety.
Coach transfers and coach touring
- All of our coach transfers to your chosen destination will be subject to an increased cleaning regime.
- This will include hand sanitisers being made available and the coach being cleaned after each journey.
- In line with local regulations, guests may need to remain in their seats for the entire journey and on board facilities may be out of use. We will ensure adequate breaks are included.
- For guests on a coach tour, it may be required for you to keep the same seats on the coach for the duration of your tour.
- Our local staff members will of course provide you with this information prior to boarding the vehicle.
- Our carefully selected hotel partners will have to confirm adherence to all local COVID-19 guidelines.
- This may include social distancing measures, à la carte or waiter served buffet meals only and an increase in general cleaning routines.
- Ensuring room cleanliness will also be vitally important and we expect all major touch points to be cleaned and sanitised with increased regularity.
- Guests will of course be reminded that social distancing is as much your responsibility as it is for our hotel partners and we would appreciate your efforts in ensuring that this is incorporated into your daily routine.
- Make sure that you have no COVID-19 symptoms prior to leaving home. The main symptoms to watch out for are a cough or a high temperature.
- Ensure you travel with a family member to the airport or book a trusted service that adheres to COVID-19 protocols.
- Observe social distancing at all times.
- Pack enough masks for the entire journey. For surgical type masks you will require one for every four hours of air travel.
- Pack alcohol-based hand sanitiser. Remember, no liquid greater than 100ml is allowed when travelling by air.
- Pack alcohol-based hand wipes to wipe down surfaces.
- Where possible, check in and print boarding passes ahead of arriving at the airport.
- If the airline has an app allowing you to go paperless this would be preferred.
- In-flight entertainment is likely to be limited so use personal phones or tablets with your favourite games, books, films and TV shows downloaded on them.
- While some food items will be available onboard certain flights it is recommended you purchase food to take on the flight. This is even more important if you have a medical condition such as diabetes.
- There may be additional restrictions on hand luggage, so pack sensibly and utilise your hold baggage limits.