Skip to navigation Skip to content
< Back to Saga Sapphire blog

15th February, 2019

Passage to Tromso

The weather as forecast was very windy for the passage. We had 2 pilots onboard to allow us to cruise up the coast in relative comfort and this worked well.

When we arrived at the entrance to the narrow channel on the inside of the Lofoten Islands the wind was blowing a steady 65 Knots or Force 12! The Pilots and I decided that the passage through this narrow channel in these conditions was not feasible and we diverted in to the Fjord that runs up to Narvik for shelter. Even in the Fjord the wind was still blowing 65 Knots with some gusts reaching nearly 100 knots.

We slowly steamed up and down the Fjord for the day, thankful that we were in sheltered waters and not in the 14 – 15 metre seas off the Lofoten Islands. Even the Hurtigruten ferries were cancelled!

The wind finally eased during the late afternoon and we then made the passage overnight up to Tromso and arrived at 0800 alongside.

Captain Richard Lambert

The opinions expressed are those of the author and are not held by Saga unless specifically stated.

The material is for general information only and does not constitute investment, tax, legal, medical or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation.